ADSM-L

Re: Restricting open registration

1994-04-15 11:30:18
Subject: Re: Restricting open registration
From: Bill Colwell <BColwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 1994 15:30:18 GMT
In <1994Apr15.033101.11215 AT draper DOT com>, MAINT%PUCC.BITNET AT uga.cc.uga
DOT edu
 (Melinda Varian) writes:
>I'm just setting up ADSM.  I would prefer to allow open registration, as
>that would be more convenient for the users and less work to administer.
>However, this server will have TCP/IP access and I can see nothing that
>would prevent anyone anywhere on the Internet from using (or abusing) it
>if I allow open registration.  I hope someone can convince me that that
>isn't so.
>
>Melinda Varian,
>Princeton University

 We are running with closed registration, but I know there are many
internet services which can't get into the Lab and some which can't go
out either.  I talked to our network guru who said that this is all
done with a 'firewall' which does 'port filtering'.  Check with your
network people and see if they have a firewall and if so, filter out
your ADSM port (usually 1500).

Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Email: BColwell AT draper DOT com