ADSM-L

Restoring remote Novell Netware 3.11 server

1994-04-07 10:22:55
Subject: Restoring remote Novell Netware 3.11 server
From: "T.F. (Frank) Ramke 1-607-752-6404" <RAMKETF AT GDLVM7.VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 1994 10:22:55 EDT
Louis,

How are you restoring the files. That is, what is the syntax of the command.
It can be confusing for NetWare. I'll give a few examples:

1)"dsmc> res sys:*   server2\sys: -sub=1"
  This command restores the sys: volume to server2\sys: volume.

2)"dsmc> res sys:* data:\test\ -sub=1"
  This command restores the sys: volume to a local data volume test directory.

3)"dsmc> res server2\sys:"
  This command will restore server2\sys: to server2.

4) "dsmc> res server2\sys: server1\sys:"
  This command will restore server2 sys to server1.

Could you be using a command similar to number 3 above? If so, try changing
to something similar to number 4.

Regards,
Frank Ramke

Referenced note
  We experienced a hard disk failure on a Netware 3.11 server.  The
server, is remotely backed up using another Netware 3.11 server.
And now that we need to restore from the backups, we are facing what
seems an unfortunate situation.

  I was trying to restore a few files from the broken server to a new
destination (a directory residing on a different server) so that I may
review those files.  However, the restore tries to connect to the broken
server and quits.

  Am I doing something wrong?  Should I remove the Domain
statements for the broken server and then restore?

Louis Pargas
Trinity University
San Antonio, Texas