ADSM-L

How long should 'HALT' take?

1994-04-05 14:10:19
Subject: How long should 'HALT' take?
From: "Michael W. Kearney" <MICHAEL AT PENNDRLS.UPENN DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 1994 13:10:19 EST
We have run into operational difficulties in a situation where the HALT
command issued to the server appeared to take an inordinately long time
(> 5 min). This was certainly not the case with WDSF, where a HALT brought the
server down almost immediately. Are there processes or sessions on the ADSM
server (such as expiration) which would cause a delay in HALT command execution?
Is there a way to know ahead of time? Is there a way to speed up the process?

This could be a potentially serious problem in situations where you need to take
the system down cleanly AND quickly. (I'll leave it to your imagination).

Any commants? Thanks in advance.

Michael Kearney