ADSM-L

WDSF/ADSM Conversion Problems

1994-04-04 11:07:00
Subject: WDSF/ADSM Conversion Problems
From: Don Coleman <COLEMAN AT QUCDN.QUEENSU DOT CA>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 1994 11:07:00 EDT
I am attempting to convert our WDSF database to ADSM. Our current database
configuration consists of 30.6 MB of recovery log space (max utilization 4%)
and  a database of 526.8 MB. The database consists of 3.54 million database
table rows.

On my first attempt, I defined the recovery log at 60 MB and the database as
526.8 MB. The run failed after 13 hours with the following message:

                                          ANR5175E Conversion processing
failed - insufficient recovery log space.

I retried the process with a recovery log of 117 MB and it failed again,
this time after 18 hours.

How much recovery log space do I need to complete this run successfully?

This would have been useful information to provide in the conversion guide.
Another intelligent way of handling this would have been to include a
process that would have scanned the tapes, performed some calculations based
on the number database rows and informed the user at that point whether or
not there was sufficient disk capacity to proceed with the conversion. This
process would have taken about 5 to 10 minutes and could have saved about 30
hours of wasted computer time.

   Don Coleman,
   Queen's University Computing & Communications Services
   Kingston, Ont. Canada  K7L 3N6
   Tel: (613) 545-2034   Email: Don.Coleman AT QueensU DOT CA