ADSM-L

V1R2 and V1R1 ADSM Code

1994-04-01 12:41:23
Subject: V1R2 and V1R1 ADSM Code
From: "Paul L. Bradshaw" <PAULB AT STLVM4.VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 1994 09:41:23 PST
ADSM has a wide range of platforms it runs on which is getting bigger
every month.  It is next to impossible to keep all servers at the
same exact level due to development, testing, packaging, and shipment
constraints.

BUT, what ADSM does do is insure that all versions of clients can talk
to any server version.  Our goal is to maintain full forward and
backward compatibility.  Thus, all V1R1 clients should work fine to
all ADSM servers.  All V1R2 clients should also work fine to all
ADSM servers.  Note that there are some mutually exclusive items
in this picture.  For instance, our new clients support Netbios and
IPX/SPX protocols, but our V1R1 servers do not.

You as a customer should typically always go to the latest level of
clients since each client build is a superset of all previous builds
and fixes.  Thus the V1R2 clients have all the fixes that have been
applied to the R1 code set plus some minor enhancements.

We understand that distributing new clients is a pain (thats why
fileservers exist).  ADSM is looking into providing automatic updates
to clients for a future version, but until then its the same old story:
sneaker net or fileserver distribution.

Paul Bradshaw : IBM ADSM Sol'n Mgr.