ADSM-L

Rebinding Management Classes to Files

1994-03-17 15:06:01
Subject: Rebinding Management Classes to Files
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <WTS AT CAPSLAN.CAPS.MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 1994 15:06:01 EST
The VM server Administrator's Guide and all of the client Guides have a
brief section entitled "Rebinding Backup Versions of Files". Unfortunately,
it isn't clear to me.  Perhaps someone on ADSM-L can help?

The section states:

Backup versions of files are rebound to a different management class in
the following cases:

You change the management class for the file by specifying a different
management class in an include statement in your include-exclude list.

If you change the management class for a file, ADSM continues to manage
the backup versions of the file based on the old management class until
you run another incremental or selective backup of the file.  When you run
another backup, ADSM rebinds all the backup versions (active and
inactive) to the new management class.

(Two other points, uninteresting to this discussion).
<end of reference>

My questions are:

1. Does "another incremental or selective backup" include a scheduled
   backup?

2. What does "run another ... backup of the file" mean?  Does it mean
   simply invoking an incremental backup or being processed at the next
   scheduled backup?  Does this imply this file must change or be deleted
   and THEN the next ADSM backup will rebind according to the new
   include-exclude list?

3. Let's say I have a directory of files being backed up by the default
   management class.  If I change my include-exclude file to include that
   directory using another class, will that directory and its files be rebound
   at the next scheduled backup even though the filesystem is unchanged?

4. Let's say I have a directory bound to a special management class via
   an include.  I then remove the directory and a scheduled backup runs,
   causing the directory and all files to be marked expired.  If I then remove
   the include entry in my include-exclude entry, are those expired files
   rebound to my default management class?

5.  Some folks have talked about switching OPTion files to effect backup of
   only a portion of the DASD at a time.  Perhaps the above questions
   answer this, but by switching OPTion files do you mean switching
   include-exclude statements?  If so, doen't this rebind files not included?
   If you are changing include-exclude, I assume you mean using the
   INCLEXCL directive, having a separate, or set of separate
   include-exclude files?

Thanks in advance,

cheers,

Wayne T. Smith
Systems Group -- CAPS        internet: wts AT maine.maine DOT edu
University of Maine System   BITNET/CREN: WTS@MAINE