ADSM-L

Re: Post questions

1994-03-16 11:58:52
Subject: Re: Post questions
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <WTS AT CAPSLAN.CAPS.MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 1994 11:58:52 EST
Martha said, in part ..
> On Tue, 15 Mar 1994 15:13:43 UTC Ron Ritchey said:
> >Does ADSM have a reporting facility? We need reports displaying
the
> >files that were backed up or archived, and the storage space used
> >by each user.
>
> The GUI client doesn't keep any kind of log that I can see, which I
think
> is a small weakness.  The command line client does keep a log of
errors,
> ie. files that don't get backed up for some reason.  This is stored in
> DSMERROR.LOG and is very useful.  However, I too wanted a log of
what was
> backed up.  I found that the OS/2 pipeline works well for this.  For
example,
> I have a REXX exec that issues the following:
>
> 'DSMC I c: -password=xxxxx >> backup.log'
>
> That will run an incremental on my C: drive and place the output in
the
> file "backup.log".  It works great.  I then LPR the file to our VM
system,
> where it will be archived and inspected for important errors.

   DMSERROR.LOG and DMSSCHED.LOG are both useful for
scheduled backups.  We too wish these were available via the
server.  In the mean time, on several of our clients we have set up an
FTP id specially for these files.  Daily, a VM SVM FTPs the logs to the
mainframe to check for anomolies, summarization, and archiving for a
while.  This enables us to find (ADSM) initial configuration and later
problems much more easily.  So far, one of ADSMs greatest
weaknesses may be that the stock code cannot tell us (at the server)
how well things are going.

(Other weaknesses vieing for the dubious title of "greatest" are
"point-in-time-restore", huge database requirement per file, little/no
control over processes requiring tape mounts, non-use of 3490
autoloader feature, and high cpu consumption at server and client).

(Minor annoyances include annoying flashing of the 3490 display,
extremely slow EXPORT, an assumed MOUNTOP when no MOUNTOP
specified, no user console messages from background processes
started with the SMSG interface, read/only mounts, weak scheduling,
no directory tree archiving, weak client interfaces, etc.)

(Given all that, I really *LIKE* ADSM!)

cheers,

cheers,

Wayne T. Smith
Systems Group -- CAPS        internet: wts AT maine.maine DOT edu
University of Maine System   BITNET/CREN: WTS@MAINE