ADSM-L

Re: Inventory file expiration

1994-03-10 11:07:41
Subject: Re: Inventory file expiration
From: "Steven P. Roder" <TKSSTEVE AT UBVM.CC.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 1994 11:07:41 EST
On Thu, 10 Mar 1994 09:57:34 CDT Ron Ritchey said:
>Can someone tell me how to set how often the invertory client
>file expiration, and the inventory file expiration processes
>are started?

Order the PTF for APAR PN51821, which is available, and which I am running....

Item PN51821

  APAR Identifier ...... PN51821      Last Changed ........ 94/02/25
  ADSM INVENTORY EXPIRATION AUTOMATICALLY EXECUTES EACH HOUR
  CAUSING HIGH CPU USAGE.

  Symptom ...... IN INCORROUT         Status ........... CLOSED  PER
  Severity ................... 3      Date Closed ......... 94/01/25
  Component .......... 564802002      Duplicate of .........
  Reported Release ......... 110      Fixed Release ............ 999
  Component Name ADSM VM SERVER       Special Types ....
  Current Target Date ..              Type of Relief ..Not Available

  Status Detail: SHIPMENT - Packaged solution is available for
                            shipment.

  PE PTF List:

  PTF List:
  Release 110   : UN56810 not available yet
  Release 11C   : UN56808 not available yet
  Release 11P   : UN56809 not available yet

  Parent APAR:    PN50939
  Child APAR list:

  ERROR DESCRIPTION:
  ADSM Inventory expiration automatically executes each hour
  and can comsume a significant amount of CPU cycles in
  large installations. The expiration period should be
  configurable by the customer so that system load can
  be managed.

  LOCAL FIX:

  PROBLEM SUMMARY:
  * USERS AFFECTED: All ADSM Release 1 Users                     *
  * PROBLEM DESCRIPTION: ADSM server executes inventory          *
  *                      expiration automatically every hour.    *
  *                      The expiration function requires        *
  *                      significant resources when              *
  *                      executed on large ADSM servers.         *
  *                      To control cpu utilization, the         *
  *                      customer should be able to control      *
  *                      when ADSM expiration runs.              *
  *                      ADSM server inventory expiration execut *
  *                                                              *
  * RECOMMENDATION: Apply PTF that resolves this problem,        *
  *                 when available                               *
  Added EXPInterval to options file processing to allow
  customers to set the interval between automatic file
  expiration processing.  The default value is 1 hour with the
  maximum value set to 336 hours (2 weeks).  An EXPIre inventory
  command has been added to start expiration manually when the
  customer desires.  Additional timing changes were made in
  the server to reduce CPU utilization when the server is idle.

  PROBLEM CONCLUSION:
  The following documentation describes how these changes
  can be used by the customer:

  NEW SERVER OPTIONS FILE PARAMETER

  EXPINterval

         Specifies the interval in hours between automatic inven-
         tory expiration by the server.  Inventory expiration
         removes client backup and archive file copies from the
         server as specified by the management classes to which
         the client files are bound.  By default, the server will
         automatically run inventory expiration each hour (the
         interval is 1 hour between automatic expiration runs).
         Specify the EXPINterval option with:

           EXPINterval hours
                       _____

         Where hours specifies the number of hours between auto-
               _____
         matic inventory expiration runs.  The minimum value per-
         mitted is 0, where automatic expiration will not execute
         and must be started with the EXPIRE INVENTORY command.
         The maximum value permitted is 336 hours (14 days).

         The EXPIRE INVENTORY command can be used to start inven-
         tory expiration at any time.  Please note that expiration
         can make space available in your storage pools for addi-
         tional client backup or archive files.  If expiration is
         not executed periodically, storage pool space will not be
         reclaimed from expired client files, and the server will
         not reclaim storage space based on management class
         policy definitions.

  NEW COMMANDS

  EXPIRE INVENTORY
  (MANUALLY START INVENTORY EXPIRATION PROCESSING)

         Use the EXPIRE INVENTORY command to manually start inven-
         tory expiration processing.  Only one expiration process
         is allowed at any time; therefore, if expiration proc-
         essing is currently running, another process cannot be
         started.  Expiration eligibility is determined by policy
         information assigned to either the backup or archive
         files.  If a file is eligible for expiration, the storage
         used by this file is deallocated.

         Automatic expiration processing is controlled by the

         EXPINTERVAL parameter located in the ADSM server
         options file (DSMSERV.OPT).  For additional information
         about the EXPINTERVAL parameter and the ADSM server
         options file, see above.

         When the EXPINTERVAL parameter is specified as 0, this
         command MUST be used to start expiration, since
         automatic expiration will not occur.

         This command creates a background process that can be
         canceled with the CANCEL PROCESS command.  To display
         information on background processes, use the QUERY
         PROCESS command.

         The inventory expiration process removes client backup
         and archive file copies from server storage under the
         terms specified by the management classes to which the
         files are bound.

  PRIVILEGE CLASS

         To issue this command you must have system privilege.

  SYNTAX

  PARAMETERS

         None.

  EXAMPLES

         TASK

         Issue the EXPIRE INVENTORY command.

         COMMAND: "EXPIre Inventory"

         SAMPLE OUTPUT:

  NEW MESSAGES

      ANR0821I  EXPIRATION THREAD ALREADY PROCESSING - UNABLE
                TO BEGIN ANOTHER EXPIRATION PROCESS.

      EXPLANATION:  The expiration thread is already proc-
      essing.  The processing expiration thread is either an

      EXPIRE INVENTORY command or is the automatic background
      expiration process.  In either case, another expiration
      process cannot be started until the current expiration
      process completes or is canceled.

      SYSTEM ACTION:  Current expiration process continues.

      USER RESPONSE:  Use the QUERY PROCESS command to deter-
      mine the status of the current expiration process.

  TEMPORARY FIX:

  COMMENTS:

  MODULES/MACROS:   NONE

  SRLS:      NONE

  RTN CODES:

  CIRCUMVENTION:

  MESSAGE TO SUBMITTER:

Steve
(tkssteve AT ubvm.cc.buffalo DOT edu | [email protected] | (716)645-3564)