ADSM-L

Re: Valid PC/TCP/IP software

1994-03-07 14:45:49
Subject: Re: Valid PC/TCP/IP software
From: David E Boyes <dboyes AT IS.RICE DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 1994 13:45:49 -0600
> If we are going to use TCP/IP as the type of communication between
> a VM server and a DOS or OS/2 client, do we have to use the IBM
> version of PC/TCP/IP? If not, what is the name of the public
> domain TCP/IP software that will work.

You don't have to use the IBM version, but few, if any of the
truly public domain TCP stacks will work worth bothering with. We
use the FTP Software TCP stack, and I know others that use
Beame&Whiteside and Novell's LAN Workplace code. As a university,
you might seriously look at the FTP Software stuff; it's
reasonably inexpensive, and it`s really high-quality code.