ADSM-L

Point In Time Restore

1994-02-02 14:14:44
Subject: Point In Time Restore
From: Carl Forde <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 1994 14:14:44 -0500
On Wed, 2 Feb 1994 10:01:40 PST, "Paul L. Bradshaw" <PAULB AT STLVM4.VNET.IBM
DOT COM>
wrote:

>5. Total system disaster.  ADSM has the ability to store all of the data
>    needed to restore a system today.  What is not currently provided is
>    bootstrap images and base system reconfiguration assistance.  A site
>    can create these procedures today with available tools, but it is not
>    all centrally located or coordinated yet.

This is the one that concerns us most.  BC Systems has made DRP (Disaster
Recovery Planning) an integral part of the way we do things.  Currently
a major exposure we have is all the data on PCs.  In most cases these PCs
have never seen a backup disk.  We are looking at ADSM to address this
problem.  In the event of a total disaster, we need to be able to
recover the ADSM database from tape.  It would be really nice to be able
to tell the server "it's now 4am, finish what you're doing and back
yourself up".  And for recovery, "here's the volser of the first tape of
your backup, restore yourself".

Have fun,
Carl Forde                            phonenet: 604-389-3234
VM Systems Software Group             bitnet  : CFORDE at BCSC02
British Columbia Systems Corporation  internet: cforde AT bcsc02.gov.bc DOT ca