ADSM-L

Re: non-IBM 3270 card support

1994-02-01 18:38:15
Subject: Re: non-IBM 3270 card support
From: Leonard Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 1994 18:38:15 EST
On Tue, 5 Oct 1993 18:34:13 EDT Pete Tanenhaus, ADSM Client Development said:
>The question you should be asking is "Is the 3270 emulation software I
>am using supported by ADSM ?"
>
>Currently, the ADSM Windows client only supports IBM PC3270W v3.0 and
>above.
>
>The ADSM DOS client supports PC3270 v2.0 and above and Attachmate/Extra!
>for DOS.
>
>The Attachmate DOS emulator does support a variety of different cards
>including cards manufactured by DCA/IRMA.
>
>Since our client will only work with cards that support DFT mode (no CUT)
>emulation the only IRMA card that Attachmate supports which will
>work with our DOS client is the IRMA-3 card configured to behave
>like an IBM 3279 card. This configuration is done with software that
>comes with the card.
>
>As for the Windows client, I believe that the latest version of PC3270
>for Windows (v3.0) only supports IBM cards. I suspect, but cannot promise
>or confirm, that future versions may be able to support non-IBM cards.
>
>Also, I've not seen a 3270 Windows emulator other than the IBM product
>which contains the level of API support that ADSM requires. Many customers
>have expressed interest in the Attachmate Windows emulator (which like it's
>DOS counterpart supports non-IBM cards) in particular. We have provided
>Attachmate with the technical API requirements for ADSM and they are supposed
>to be making a determination as to whether this support will be added to
>their Windows product. If this support does become available there a high
>probability that we would add Attachmate support to the ADSM Windows client.
>
>In addition, we are looking at possibly supporting other Windows/DOS 3270
>emulation software in future releases. If you have a specific requirement
>append it to this forum and I'll make sure it gets added to our list.
>
>Hope this helps answer your questions ....
>

>*** Pete Tanenhaus, ADSM Client Development ***
>***                                         ***

Pete

We have users with software called E78Plus, I believe from IRMA.

Pete do you know if this software or its follow ons will support ADSM for
DOS? Is the ADSM API special for ADSM or is it just one level of another
standard?  EHLLAPI?

I noticed that the current ADSM ann letters state that IBM PC/3270 ver 3
is required. But at the time of the posting you said that ver 2 would
be supported. Would the level of HLLAPI/EHLLAPI in IBM PC/3270 ver 1
work with ADSM if IBM still suppored that level of PC/3270?

Thanks len boyle