ADSM-L

Re: "Point-in-time-restore"?

1994-02-01 09:03:14
Subject: Re: "Point-in-time-restore"?
From: "Smith, Dean" <DSMITH8 AT IS.ARCO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 1994 14:03:14 GMT
> I don't think anyone is suggesting that ADSM backups are a virus protection
> facility.  That's just one reason why a site might need to go back to a known
> state in the past without knowing in advance that they were going to need to
> do tha

Why turn BACKUP/RESTORE into a function which is addressable through ARCHIVE?
This arguement reminds me of the discussions regarding ABARS and why it should
be capable of doing regular backup.  The tool is different.  Screw drivers and
chisels although shaped much the same are designed for different purposes.  They
are often used for the wrong purposes.  BACKUP/RESTORE is a different tool than
ARCHIVE, the cases put forth are very specific.  They attempt to justify the
common case based on very specific cases.