ADSM-L

"Point-in-time-restore"?

1994-01-28 13:33:26
Subject: "Point-in-time-restore"?
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <WTS AT CAPSLAN.CAPS.MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 1994 13:33:26 EST
Does ADSM have a "point-in-time-restore" capability?  If so, I've missed
it.  :-(   I fear we will dump ADSM for most or all of our backup because of
this (perceived) shortcoming.

For single file restores, ADSM is almost OK, but when file systems or
directories must be restored, then there may be a problem.  Consider a
couple of cases (both have occured to me this week)  ...   :-(

(1) I install a new piece of software in the same directory as an older
version (which ADSM client doesn't matter, as far as I know).  After a
couple of days of testing, I want to restore the old software.  ADSM gives
me no way to restore all the files that *used* to be in that directory.  This
is a common problem.  Archive is not a reasonable solution.  Any solution
that means I need to anticipate the restore with a special backup is not
reasonable.

(2) I have a data base with dozens of files scattered about a directory.  On
some days some files change, on other days others change.  Somehow
the data base becomes corrupt and we determine that we must restore
the data base files as they existed "n" days ago.  At best this is very
labor intensive and prone to error.  At worst, it's impossible.  For active
files, ADSM doesn't even have the copies for which "n" is greater than
the number of versions retained.

What is needed?  For ADSM to be a success here, I think it needs to be
able to restore from a file or directory or file system as it was backed up
"n" days ago, "m" weeks ago, or "o" months ago.

For example, I would like to be able to tell ADSM to schedule nightly
incremental backups. *Any* files, directories, or file systems should be
restorable for up to two weeks.  Each Sunday (pick a schedule day), the
status of the file system should be recorded and *any* files, directories
or the file system should be restorable for the next two months.  Once
each month (or second month) the same should be done ... and these
files, directories and file space should be restorable for up to one year.

I specifically do NOT want "retain versions=365".  The above example
scheme would have a maximum of about 20 versions of a file that
changed every day.

I can do this with my mainframe backup system; I can do this with a
bunch of tape drives and some labor.  Will I be able to do it with ADSM?

Does anyone else have similar concerns (besides my management)?

If anyone from development listens, thanks for your time and
consideration.

cheers,

Wayne T. Smith
Systems Group -- CAPS        internet: wts AT maine.maine DOT edu
University of Maine System   BITNET/CREN: WTS@MAINE