ADSM-L

Re: question to ibm on how ptf service works

1994-01-27 17:12:43
Subject: Re: question to ibm on how ptf service works
From: Carl Forde <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 1994 17:12:43 -0500
On Thu, 27 Jan 1994 10:51:33 EST "Steven P. Roder"
<TKSSTEVE AT UBVM.CC.BUFFALO DOT EDU>, wrote:

>I just received my ADSM shipment, and it came with two maintenance tapes,
>one for installation via INSTFPP, and the other via SES.  Being a VM/ESA 2.1
>site, you are more or less "required" to use SES (which, BTW, requires more

We're running VM/ESA 2.1 as well.  I installed ADSM without SES.  I was a
baaaad boy (in my best Costello voice).  I read the install exec and
after all was said and done it looked to me like it just did a TAPE LOAD.
So that's what I did. Then once I figured out how the maintenance worked,
I was was a bad boy some more.  I put the new files on a new disk and
compared each one to what I already had.  If it was different I kept it,
if the same I over wrote it with the old one.  This way I know what files
changed when.  It also gives me the ability to apply or back out a
level-set by swapping disk addresses.  And it only uses twice the disk
space.  :-)

>than triple the disk space!....SES is IBM's latest way of selling more DASD;-)
>Anyway, the SES formated tape was not created properly, and will not load.
>The PTF to fix the tape creation is PN46899/UN53328, and includes a whole
>slew of PTFs, like the fixes for the WDSF-ADSM database conversion fixes,
>as well as the aforemention PN49454.

I will say that I appreciate the option to order fixes SESified or not.

>It's a pity no one tested the application of the maintenance tapes being

Funny, I've never had a problem with TAPE LOAD. :->

Have fun,
Carl Forde                            phonenet: 604-389-3234
VM Systems Software Group             bitnet  : CFORDE@BCSC02
British Columbia Systems Corporation  internet: cforde AT bcsc02.gov.bc DOT ca