ADSM-L

VM vs MVS for ADSM Server

1993-11-14 14:35:00
Subject: VM vs MVS for ADSM Server
From: "Joseph A. Faracchio {510} 642-7638 {w}" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1993 11:35:00 PST
Here's one for the list that may prove valuable in the long run.
I.E.  If you choose VM and need this its there.  I'm not sure about MVS.

In VM the ability to control the ADSM server is available through PROP.
And there are other commercial products to do this even better like HMF/VM.

I don't think there are 'free' PROPLOG kinds of implementations for MVS
and I'd bet the commercial ones are a bit more expensive.

Until ADSM is perfect, :-) !  There will be times when extraneous routines
will need to be implemented and a VM server sure beats any manual operator
routine.

My list of wants for ADSM that I'm putting in PROP for the time being are:

Tape Twining
Automatic Exporting for offsite storage
Summary reports daily of the asst'd pools and whether there reaching full state
Other reports of what users 'missed' their scheduled backup more than once.
etc ...

I've heard of PROPLOG things for MVS.  Are they any good?  Do they work?

cheers .. joe.f.