ADSM-L

Re: CPU Charges for MVS Server

1993-10-13 17:44:03
Subject: Re: CPU Charges for MVS Server
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1993 17:44:03 EDT
On Wed, 13 Oct 1993 16:19:16 GMT Smith, Dean said:
>We've begun investigating the CPU charge costs for ADSM sessions, as documented
>by the SMF type 42 subtype 14 records.  We are a little concerned about the
>costs which would be passed on to our users if our standard CPU charges were
>applied.  A backup of a SUN client of 200 MB, which took 20 minutes of elapsed
>time, resulted in 106 seconds of CPU seconds.  In our environment this would
>result in a bill of approximately $14.  This seems a little excessive, has
>anyone else investigated the amount of CPU time being charged to sessions.
>
>Thanks in advance.  Dean Smith

If you're running your ADSM backups during periods when your system is not
normally fully utilized, you might want to consider charging less for CPU
usage during this period.  On a large mainframe system, you normally have
a large enough system to handle peak interactive loads which occur during
the daytime.  On such systems, it is often the case that the CPU is not
fully utilized during the night.  On our system, we charge less during the
night to encourage off-peak usage.

If you're running ADSM when the system is reasonably loaded, you might want
to reconsider how good an idea this is.  A mainframe is an awfully expensive
piece of hardware.  At our site, I think it only makes sense to run WDSF/ADSM
on our mainframe "on the margin", i.e., using cycles that would normally go
unused (or mostly so).

my 2-cents.
..Paul