ADSM-L

9348 tape drives!

1993-10-13 13:57:52
Subject: 9348 tape drives!
From: Brett Walker <walkerbl AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1993 10:57:52 PDT
Re: Note from you attached below

Here is the answer I got back from Wayne Hineman (not yet on the forum,
but soon to be)...

>For: Brett Walker
>I had asked this question on the list but no answer. Thought I would try you
>direct and see if you can answer or if someone in your organization can answer
>We have had an IBM 9000 for a year or so. Because of cost factors it was
>suggested we use the 9348 tape drive on our system. This drive is compatible
>with 3420 models. However, I found out that WDSF would not support it. I
>understand that ADSM also does not support this drive. Is this correct?
>If so, is support coming for this drive and if not why would IBM sell you
>a drive that is 3420 compatible but none of their software supports it!
>An answer to my question would be appreciated!!!! Thanks in advance for any
>help you can give.....

These devices are real odd balls.  Saying that they are 3420 compatible is
somewhat misleading.  They are 3420 compatible in that they can read and
write both 1600 bpi (PE) and 6250 bpi (GCR) formats.  From a programming
perspective they more closely resemble 3480s.  Being reel devices with a
3480-style programming interface makes them not fit very neatly into either
the WDSF or ADSM internal structures.  Technically speaking, support could be
provided, but it would be a non-trivial hack job.  I don't think that 9348
support is currently planned for ADSM, but if there are many ADSM customers
who have them, I imagine support would be provided.

Wayne Hineman