ADSM-L

VM or MVS Adstar DSM?

1993-10-12 10:18:30
Subject: VM or MVS Adstar DSM?
From: Steve Moore <SWMGR AT MIAMIU.ACS.MUOHIO DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1993 10:18:30 EDT
>  We installed WDSF a few months ago and we're now planning on
>converting to ADSM.
>
>  My system manager is favouring moving over from WDSF under VM
>to ADSM under MVS.
>
>  Any problems with this, or comments from those who've gone down
>the same path?  Thanks.

I would like to piggyback on Anthony's VM to MVS Adstar conversion question.
Here at Miami we are trying to determine which platform to install Adsm
on.  The majority of our projected clients are using TCP/IP.  On VM we
have FAL but no tape management system.  On MVS we have a tape
management system but we need to install HAL.  This is a difficult
decision to make without experience with the product.  Any comparative
comments on installation, performance and usability charateristics
on VM/MVS would be appreciated.  I will order the Adsm Implementation
Examples for performance information.  I am oh so happy that I found
this list.  Thanks in advance for any comments.

Steve Moore - Software Coordinator
              Miami University, Oxford, Ohio