ADSM-L

Re: # of files listed by Q OCC command

1993-10-08 22:32:00
Subject: Re: # of files listed by Q OCC command
From: "Stefan R. Steiner" <ssteiner AT ALMADEN.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1993 19:32:00 PDT
Brett Walker writes:

> >We've recently installed the ADSM server. As an initial test, we backed up
 the
> >root directory of an AIX client. The backup process claimed that 807 files
> >were backed up. However, when I do a QUERY OCCUPANCY for the file system,
> >the response reports only 703 files. When I delete the file system, the
> >server reports that 807 files were deleted. What gives? We need the correct
> >number of files in order to do our billing. Thanks in advance. MK

>When data is backed up, the label should probably really read Objects
>Backed Up, because it counts directories as being backed up.  My guess
>is that the server is showing the actual number of files on the
>Q OCCUPANCY command, and the delete filespace shows actual number
>of objects.  So if your accounting is keying off of the Q OCCUPANCY
>command, then you should be alright.

Brett is almost right (sorry Brett :-)
The ADSM server shows only those objects (files and directories) on the
Q OCC command that have actual data stored in a storage pool.
  Before I go further, let me explain a few things:
   o  There are two major data areas in the ADSM server, 1. the Database and
      2. Data Storage (the storage pools).
   o  The Database contains object meta-data (i.e. name, last modification
      date, UID, GID, permissions, ...)
   o  Data Storage contains the actual object data, if any.  This includes
      file data, access control lists, the Mac resource forks, OS/2 extended
      attributes.  Basically anything associated with an object that can
      take up possibly a lot of storage.
Any object that doesn't have any data in Data Storage does not show up
in the output of the Q OCC command.
Examples:
   o  Most zero-length files, except on the Mac and Novell systems, which (I
      think, correct me if I'm wrong Brett and Frank) always have either
      resource forks or Netware SMS data.
   o  Most directories, except those with ACLs and EAs.  Again, the Mac
      and Novell systems I think always have data in Data Storage associated
      with all of their directories.
So, that is why you see two different numbers.  Q OCC only reports back what
is contained in Data Storage (storage pools).

I hope this clarifies this,
Stefan R. Steiner
Member of the ADSM client Team