ADSM-L

Re: recycling of empty tapes

1993-10-01 19:04:10
Subject: Re: recycling of empty tapes
From: Carl Forde <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1993 19:04:10 -0400
On Fri, 1 Oct 1993 14:20:33 EDT, Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL
DOT EDU>
wrote:

>So, it sounds like if you want reclaimed tapes to be re-used, then they must
>be assigned to (owned by) DSSERV.  When a VMTAPE SCRATCH tape is released by
>WDSF, it cannot be re-allocated by VMTAPE until it has been expired.  I see
>no way to automate this expiration, as I see no way to tell VMTAPE that WDSF
>is through with the SCRATCH tape.

We are running with ADSM and VMTAPE as well.  One solution is to have a
SCIF monitor the ADSM servers console messages and when it sees
something that looks like the following:
   ANR1341I Scratch volume V13459 has been deleted from storage pool
   BACKUP_TAPES.
   ANR5300I Verifying volume label V13459 on device 0B21.
   ANR5220I Deleting CARTRIDGE V13459 from Storage Pool BACKUP_TAPES.
have it do a VMTAPE CATALOG volser RETPD 0.  Appropriate authorizations
in place as well of course.  This seems like a big hammer for such a
little problem.  Would be nice if the mount exit were called again to
do this.

>We pre-allocate tapes to the WDSF server (using the DEFINE VOLUME command)
>and try not to make use of VMTAPE SCRATCH tapes at all.  However, if WDSF

We only use SCRATCH tapes with a 1000 tape limit for both BACKUP and
ARCHIVE tape pools.  I don't expect to reach that any time soon. ;-)
The idea is that if the server needs a new tape there is likely someone
performing a backup or archive.  We want this to get done as quickly as
possible.

>ran out of pre-allocated tapes, and started using SCRATCH tapes, we would
>end up with the same problem you have identified.  It would be a pain to find
>the list of tapes that WDSF used and released, and then expire them to VMTAPE.
>It would be nice if there were a WDSF "tape release exit" that would be called
>whenever WDSF deleted the tape from its repository configuration.

Yes it sure would.

Have fun,
Carl Forde                            phonenet: 604-389-3234
VM Systems Software Group             bitnet  : CFORDE@BCSC02
British Columbia Systems Corporation  internet: cforde AT bcsc02.gov.bc DOT ca