Newcomer
    Thanks

Default Lanfree Configuration Problem

Hi All,

We have Tsm 6.3 (and ts3200 library)installed and configured on our datacenter. ( datacenter and head office are at different locations) we can backup our servers without any problem. and we have 10mb network connection between head office and datacenter. We have 4 servers at head office.i want to backup them also. i have one Hp ultrium 3 tape device connected to a server ( scsı) to a server at head office.

i want to backup servers at head office to tape device at head office ( not to tsm server at datacenter)

as far as i understand i can do it with lanfree.

my questions

1)can i backup my head office servers to this hp ultrium 3 device with lanfree ? (this device connected to server via scsi and not share)
    2)i think i have to create a new library,new device,new class but when i create new library when i try to define paths i get some error for example;
    i want to define path like this from tsm server "DEFINE PATH calgarysta drive0 SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=DRIVE LIBRARY=VTLLIB DEVICE=mt2.2.0.2" but server gives me ANR8418E DEFINE PATH: An I/O error occurred while accessing library VTLLIB . i think my tsm is trying to reach =mt2.2.0.2 but its not connected directly to tsm server its connected to another server at head office.

i have established server to server comminucation between storage agent and tsm server but i think im litte confured about defining paths. im very new to tsm by the way :
    ) ​my systems are 2008 r2

Thank you for your help.

Thanks

That won't work, since the TSM server is not able to see the tape drive on the head-office.
    So it will not be able to control the drive, check the labels and so on.

For a lanfree backup both the TSM server and the client will have to have access to the device.
    During a lanfree backup, the TSM server mounts and checks the tapes and once mounted, gives the control of the drive to the storage-agent.

Newcomer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
    That won't work, since the TSM server is not able to see the tape drive on the head-office.
    So it will not be able to control the drive, check the labels and so on.

For a lanfree backup both the TSM server and the client will have to have access to the device.
    During a lanfree backup, the TSM server mounts and checks the tapes and once mounted, gives the control of the drive to the storage-agent.
    thank you for your reply i understand. lets assume its a device on the san network. i didnt understand how tsm finds the device.
    for example i define path as DEFINE PATH calgarysta drive0 SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=DRIVE LIBRARY=adiclib DEVICE=mt2.2.0.2

how can tsm find this mt2.2.0.2 device on the network ?

Thanks

When the SAN zoning is set, the TSM and the client will get access to the tape drive.
    This can result in different mt-devices on AIX, let's say it is mt2.2.0.2 on the TSM server and mt4.4.0.2 on the client
    then you would execute:
    DEFINE PATH TSM-SERVER drive0 SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=DRIVE LIBRARY=adiclib DEVICE=mt2.2.0.2
    and
    DEFINE PATH STORAGE-AGENT drive0 SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=DRIVE LIBRARY=adiclib DEVICE=mt4.4.0.2

Newcomer
    Thanks

Thank you Jeroen. im trying to understand it better
    does it work over lan connection ? i mean tsm - storage agent and client node is on the came network and the tape device is connected to storage agent server. each of them can reach other from network. when i run "DEFINE PATH TSM-SERVER drive0 SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=DRIVE LIBRARY=adiclib DEVICE=mt2.2.0.2" isn't tsm server going to say " hey i cant this mt2.2.0.2 because its not plugged on me "
    how does tsm server knows to where to look on the network ? i didn't understand that part. by the way im should run all this commands on tsm server right ?

Thanks

TSM must be able to "see" media changer device and tape device(s) from target location (located in head-office). It means you have to be able to store any data from TSM server to library in remote location (speed doesn't matter).
    You can use SAN, iSCSI should work too -> via zoning you make devices "visible" and reachable to server you need.
    TSM server is managing mounting/dismounting of tape volumes in remote location also reclamation. Last one would be pain in the *** if you intend doing it over WAN.

Common scenario (to me) is a small TSM instance on remote site with server-to-server communication to TSM instance in datacenter which manages policies/admin users/stg pool definitions/...
    Or turn on journal, compression and tranfer data to datacenter (but that's what you are trying to avoid)

Newcomer
    Thanks

hmm as i understand if this is device support iscsi first i should have to add this device to main tsm server (datacenter) and tsm server should be able to see this device as a local device. and it should be able to do some operations on it. then i should have to define the path as mt3.2.0.0 etc
    is that right ? sorry for my english and for my tsm knowledge

Thanks

tsm server should be able to see this device as a local device -> yes
    it should be able to do some operations on it -> yes
    then i should have to define the path as mt3.2.0.0 -> first off, media changer device and all drives should be defined on TSM in datacenter
    define library
    REMOTE_LIB libt=SCSI
    define drive REMOTE_LIB REM_DR0
    define drive REMOTE_LIB REM_DR1
    define path TSM REMOTE_LIB srct=server destt=libr device=lb3.0.0.0

define path TSM REM_DR0
    srct=server destt=drive libr=REMOTE_LIB device=mt3.1.0.0
    define path TSM REM_DR1 srct=server destt=drive libr=REMOTE_LIB device=mt3.2.0.0

Then install storage agent on remote site, connect it with TSM server (storage agent documentation) and define paths for drives, something like
    define path CALGARYSTA REM_DR0 srct=server destt=drive libr=REMOTE_LIB device=mt5.1.0.0
    define path CALGARYSTA REM_DR1 srct=server destt=drive libr=REMOTE_LIB device=mt6.2.0.0

But remember reclamation will be over WAN = slow.

Newcomer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smajl View Post
    tsm server should be able to see this device as a local device -> yes
    it should be able to do some operations on it -> yes
    then i should have to define the path as mt3.2.0.0 -> first off, media changer device and all drives should be defined on TSM in datacenter
    define library
    REMOTE_LIB libt=SCSI
    define drive REMOTE_LIB REM_DR0
    define drive REMOTE_LIB REM_DR1
    define path TSM REMOTE_LIB srct=server destt=libr device=lb3.0.0.0

define path TSM REM_DR0
    srct=server destt=drive libr=REMOTE_LIB device=mt3.1.0.0
    define path TSM REM_DR1 srct=server destt=drive libr=REMOTE_LIB device=mt3.2.0.0

Then install storage agent on remote site, connect it with TSM server (storage agent documentation) and define paths for drives, something like
    define path CALGARYSTA REM_DR0 srct=server destt=drive libr=REMOTE_LIB device=mt5.1.0.0
    define path CALGARYSTA REM_DR1 srct=server destt=drive libr=REMOTE_LIB device=mt6.2.0.0

But remember reclamation will be over WAN = slow.
    ok now tsm is able to see the device as local device and when i run tsmdlst.exe i can see "mt0.0.0.3 0 0 0 3 HU108293HK - LTO NATIVE HP Ultrium 3-SCSI D22D" but i dont see new library informations starts with lb.x.x.x. thats why im unable to define a library. do you have any idea why i dont see any new library ?

and 2. question

we are running this "define path CALGARYSTA REM_DR0 srct=server destt=drive libr=REMOTE_LIB device=mt5.1.0.0
    define path CALGARYSTA REM_DR1 srct=server destt=drive libr=REMOTE_LIB device=mt6.2.0.0" at storage agent right ?

thank you for your help

Thanks

The lan-free client does not use a library device only tape. The TSM server loads/moves handles the library side.

Newcomer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsm_dude View Post
    The lan-free client does not use a library device only tape. The TSM server loads/moves handles the library side.
    Hi, thank you for your reply.

i was checking on tsm server. server is able to see tape device. and i wanted to create library but to define a library path i checked my devices on tsm server with this command tsmdlst.exe and now i can see mt0.0.0.3 0 0 0 3 HU108293HK - LTO NATIVE HP Ultrium 3-SCSI D22D but i dont see any informations to define a library path. as far as understand first i have to create a library to use devices.