Hybrid View

Newcomer
    Thanks

Unhappy Cannot migrate files after full restore of GPFS filesystem

Hi,

We recently had an 'interesting' GPFS failure that was, basically, unrecoverable. No problem, we simply restored from backup (takes ages, but we prioritised stuff so it wasn't that visible to the users).

The only problem now is that it doesn't accept that the restored files are the same as the backed-up files. On attempting to migrate files using the HSM client, I get:

ANS9298I File <path> is skipped for migration: Backup copy found is not current.

Whilst attempting an incremental back-up will happily back up everything that has just been brought back from tape!

I've tried setting SKIPACL and SKIPACLUPDATECHECK to YES (they're NO by default), but no joy...

Has anybody else had this problem?

Thanks

I have not worked in HSM but from what i read a file is migrated only after backup stg of that file is complete.

So after restore i believe all those files would be eligible for incremnetal backups ( may be timestamp of dat modified changed).

you gotta do a incremental and then a backup stg i suppose before that file is eligible.

Newcomer
    Thanks

It's configurable whether a file must be backed up before it can be migrated, but we have that switched on as a belt-and-braces precaution.

The timestamps etc are restored too, so there's no change there. My problem is (well, was, actually) that:
    1) If I have to back up after a restore, then that's going to double my storage requirement for, essentially, no reason
    2) If I have to back up before I can migrate, it's going to take months to get back up to date and I'm going to run out of disk space in the meantime....
    3) I'm just confused as to why it would be necessary; it's only just been restored, it's clearly the current backup version, why does it think it's changed?

In any case, I've got a moderately acceptable workaround. If I turn on the skipacl and skipaclupdatecheck options, the file still can't be migrated straight away, but the 'backup' just updates the db, rather than actually backing the file up... That make the whole thing much quicker....

Thanks for your response, btw!

Newcomer
    Thanks

NB Since the full restore isn't yet complete, in order to migrate, I must follow the procedure below:

1) Attempt a rule-based migration and collect the output, eg:
    mmapplypolicy <device> -P <policy> -I yes 2>&1 | tee output_file.txt
    2) Collect the names of files that have failed for the reason mentioned
    grep '^ANS9298I' output_file.txt | awk '{print $3}' | tee files_to_update.txt
    3) Perform incremental 'backup' of those files
    4) Retry the migration
    5) Repeat until you hit your target....