Newcomer
    Thanks

Default Backed up file with multiple management classes

The fragment at the bottom from IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for Windows Version 5.5 seems to suggest that multiple management classes can be in effect for the same file. Consider that file is backed up using management class ClassX (with backup copy group and no archive copy group) and archived using a different one - ClassY (with archive copy group, but no backup copy group). If then include option is used to specify ClassX for backup operation on a file and include.archive option is used to specify ClassY for archiving of the same file, then the file ends up having both th ese management class, with ClassX used for backups and ClassY - for archiving.

I assume it is also possible for HSM operation on the same file to use yet another management class - ClassZ, for example when default management class doesn't have backup nor archive copy group, but does define storage pool for HSM operations.

In that case CLASS_NAME of ClassX for the file will be recorded in BACKUPS table, and CLASS_NAME of ClassY - in ARCHIVES table and ClassZ - in SPACEMGFILE table.

Can somebody please confirm if my reading is correct?

Thanks in advance,
    George

A management class specified with a simple include option can apply to one or
    more processes on the client. More specific include options (such as
    include.archive) allow the user to specify different management classes. Some
    examples of how this works:
    v If a client backs up, archives, and migrates a file to the same server, and uses
    only a single include option, the management class specified for the file applies
    to all three operations (backup, archive, and migrate).
    v If a client backs up and archives a file to one server, and migrates the file to a
    different server, the client can specify one management class for the file for
    backup and archive operations, and a different management class for migrating.
    v Clients at Version 4.2 or later can specify a management class for archiving that
    is different from the management class for backup.
    Last edited by gshiman; 11-30-2012 at 02:40 PM.

Thanks

Yes you are correct
    a backup is independent of the archive in everey respect even down to mgmgt class.
    The archive is completely independent of the management class used for backup. This is true for HSM as well.
    Windows, does it come with a gui?

Newcomer
    Thanks

Thank you for feedback.

I take it that you agree that unique management class can also be configured for space management operations and that a given file or directory may have up to three management classes when its management classes differ for backup, archiving and data management operations on that file/directory.

May I ask a follow up question:
    Is management class unique per TSM server or per policy domain? From what I gather from some fragments here and there it is unique per TSM server.

- George

Thanks

Even on lower level...
    You can have management class with exactly the same name and settings in many policy sets, i.e. in every policy set, every policy domain, every TSM server.
    Only one policy set can be active for each Domain anyway.