Newcomer
    Thanks

Default Migrating from TSM 5.4 on AIX to TSM 6.3 on Windows

I'm looking to migrate from TSM 5.4 on AIX to TSM 6.3 on Windows.

From a couple of other forum posts I understand that the generally accepted/recommended approach would be to export server to server. (Storage space will likely not be an issue, though volume of data might.)

Question 1: Would the TSM source server need to be at the same version as the target server? i.e. would I need to upgrade TSM on AIX to 6.3 before running the server to server export?

I am also investigating an alternate approach: If the volume of data is such that time constraints prevent server to server export from being feasible then attempt a database level export, import without actually moving any data.

So, Upgrade TSM on AIX to 6.3, followed by db2move/db2look on the TSM DB2 database.

Question 2: Has anyone tried this before? I am in the process of simulating this with test data on TSM5.4 on a Linux VM with a move to TSM6.3 on a Windows VM. I plan to share my experience (successful or not) but hope that someone may have already attempted this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by asanadi View Post
    I'm looking to migrate from TSM 5.4 on AIX to TSM 6.3 on Windows.

From a couple of other forum posts I understand that the generally accepted/recommended approach would be to export server to server. (Storage space will likely not be an issue, though volume of data might.)

Question 1: Would the TSM source server need to be at the same version as the target server? i.e. would I need to upgrade TSM on AIX to 6.3 before running the server to server export?

I am also investigating an alternate approach: If the volume of data is such that time constraints prevent server to server export from being feasible then attempt a database level export, import without actually moving any data.

So, Upgrade TSM on AIX to 6.3, followed by db2move/db2look on the TSM DB2 database.
    To move from one platform to another platform, you can only do server export. Period. I am doing right now a TSM 5.5 on HP-UX to TSM 6.1.5 on Linux export. I suggest upgrading your TSM 5.4 to 5.5 before exporting to 6.3.x. But why Windows - you are trading a Rolls Royce for a Kia - at least that is my opinion.

Question 2: Has anyone tried this before? I am in the process of simulating this with test data on TSM5.4 on a Linux VM with a move to TSM6.3 on a Windows VM. I plan to share my experience (successful or not) but hope that someone may have already attempted this.
    As I said you cannot do this - different platform can only be exported. Period. Don't attempt as this is just as waste of time.
    Last edited by moon-buddy; 12-05-2013 at 09:21 AM.
    Ed