Thanks

Default Help me vote for better Export / Import performance

Hi all!

TSM Export/Import poor performance is starting to be an issue for us. I guess some of you have noticed it yourselves? After having a PMR opened for 1,5 years I've been requested by IBM to post a RFE (request for enhancement) for an identified bottleneck - to increase Export/Import operation blocksize from 32kB to 256kB as all other tape operations use.

Please visit the RFE and give it a vote ("Add vote" in the right margin) if you're also up for having IBM fix better performance for Export/Import operations.
    The RFE is at the following link: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rf...fe&CR_ID=22621

The ID of the RFE is 22621

Thanks all!!

Thanks

I submitted my vote - I am all for it. However, I wish there was an option to define the block size through parameter settings.
    Ed

Thanks

Thanks!

Thats actually exactly what the RFE is about. I requested to add a parameter to the Export/Import command so it's possible to choose to use 256kB blocksize. It defaults to 32kB so users unaware of the feature will be unaffected and it's also backwards compatible. All good then.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PatrikSE View Post
    Thanks!

Thats actually exactly what the RFE is about. I requested to add a parameter to the Export/Import command so it's possible to choose to use 256kB blocksize. It defaults to 32kB so users unaware of the feature will be unaffected and it's also backwards compatible. All good then.
    What I am think is more elaborate than just to select from set values - I want the ability to define what I want. A selection range would be better.
    Ed

Thanks

True - the issue could be when making an Import of an old Export where you don't know which blocksize it was created with. Then it's easier to get it right if you only have two options to choose from. But I see your point. Nevertheless, using 32kB while everything else is in 256kB seems insan... not optimal I say.

Newcomer
    Thanks

You've got my vote!

Thanks

Just to let you know - to increase the block size would still be a nice thing but there was also a "bug" discovered in the TSM 6.x platform that made Exports run painfully slow. After upgrading to later release (I think it was from release 6.2.4 and up) the perfomance was at least back to the same performance TSM 5.x had. So if you are on an old 6.x release and haveing really slow Exports it's woth looking at an upgrade.