Thanks

Default How to move TSM server from AIX Platform to Windows Platform

Hello All,

I want to move my tsm server from AIX platform to Windows 65 bit 2008 Platform.

But i wonder a some issue.
    1) firstly can i it? is it possible?
    2)How? Help me documents or another informaiton

My tsm server AIX 5.3 TL 12 OS level
    My tsm server version : 6.1.5.10

I want to move windows 2008 64 bit platform?

Thank you advice.
    Have a nice day

Newcomer
    Thanks

First off, you cannot move the TSM server instance. What you can do is to export definitions and data from your old server to a new server. TSM doesnt support X-platform movement.

1. Yes, you can migrate from AIX to Windows. No, you cannot move the database. Instead you need to export definitions and data from the existing server to a new Windows server (server-to-server is generally the easiest if you have the space).
    2. I suggest looking at the export command in the TSM information center. Google for "Tivoli Storage Manager 6 Information Center".

Regards

Daniel

Thanks

Hello DanielSparman,

Thank you for your help.

if you want to my AIX server migrate to Windows server i have to ;

1)export server from AIX
    2)install initial same tsm server on Windows server. ( empt db or initial configuration)
    3)import server to Windows server .

True or false?

Thank you.

Newcomer
    Thanks

Hi

Or you can:

1. Install your new TSM server on a Windows 64-bit machine.
    2. Configure it and make sure it's working as intended.
    3. Set up a server-to-server connection between the old AIX TSM server and your new Windows TSM server (information concerning this is in the information center)
    4. On your AIX TSM server, execute export with "toserver='YOURNEWTSMSERVER'".

This will export the selected definitions and data (see export node concerning exporting node data and export server concerning exporting server definitions) to your new TSM server.

This procedure will however require that you have enough "empty" storage to hold twice the amount of backed up data (since you temporarily will be storing it on both your old and new TSM server).

Regards

Daniel

Thanks

Hello DanielSparman,

I just try what you say . I try the issue on test server. ( before prod ı want to see test enviroment)

1. I Install new target TSM server on a Windows 64-bit machine. and i install new sourceTSM server on aWindows 32 bit machine. (migrate from 32 bit to 64 bit)
    2. I Configure it and i make sure it's working .
    3. I Set up a server-to-server connection between the new target 64 bit TSM server and new source Windows 32 bit TSM server
    open two server between 1500 port and define server each server
    4. On my 32 bit Windows TSM server, execute export with "export server filed=All tos=my64bitservername'".

it'is ok but process need to mount volume . However i haven't got a volume.

İs the another way withoult volume use export server ( its mean directly? )

Thank you your advice.
    Have a nice day

Newcomer
    Thanks

"4. On my 32 bit Windows TSM server, execute export with "export server filed=All tos=my64bitservername'".

it'is ok but process need to mount volume . However i haven't got a volume."

I'm assuming the source server wants to mount the volume containing the clients data. Why doesnt the server have the volume?

During the export process, your source server will mount each volume containing the clients data to export it to the target server.

Your target server will need to have storage space to store the incoming data (like I said, using this procedure will require that you have storage capacity in your new TSM server, you cant move the library to the new server).

export server process:

a) Execute "export server filed=All tos=my64bitservername'"
    b) Source server (as in, your old AIX server) mounts the first volume that contains the clients data and starts sending the clients data to the target server (your Windows 64-bit TSM server) over the network. When the source server is done with the first volume, it will get dismounted, and the next volume that contains the clients data will get mounted.
    c) When all data has been transferred over the network from source server (AIX server) to target server (Windows server), the export process will complete.

For this procedure to work, you will need:

a) That your source server (AIX server) can access all volumes containing the data you wish to export
    b) That there is a server-to-server connection (which you have already set up)
    c) That there is enough scratch volumes or free diskpool space on the target server to store the data you wish to export.

Thanks

Hello DanielSparman,

Thank you for your information. İt's so helpfully for me. you are really very nice explanation.

it seems this process so difficult work for me. My backups doestn't matter for me but my archieves very important for me. So ;
    an idea come to my mind.

1) I Install new TSM server on a Windows 64-bit machine ( tesm srver version 6.3.0.0)
    2) All the same configuration i will. ( all the stg pool device class etc. same AIX and Windows server)
    3)I used specificly node for archieve. Only use export node command from AIX TSM server "acrhieve node" and then import node in the Windows 64 bit TSM server.

is it possible?

Newcomer
    Thanks

Yes. However, if you're exporting over the network (as in toserver=NEWSERVER) the import process will be automatically started on your new TSM server when you execute export server on your old server. You only manually need to do the import when you first export data to tapes, move the tapes so that the new server has access to them and then do import server.

So

Option A - export using server-to-server

"export server filed=Arch tos=my64bitservername"

When the export server process has ended, your export/import is complete

Option B - First export to tapes, then import into new server from the tapes.
    "export server filed=Arch devcl=DEVICECLASS"

>> Move tapes to the new servers library >>

"Import server filed=Arch devcl=DEVICECLASS volumenames=volume1,volume2,volume3,volume4"

Remember that when the export runs using option B, you need to make a note which tapes the export process used, and in whatorder. That's because you need to specify them in the correct order when you do the import ("volumenames=")

Thanks

Hello DanielSparman,

Thank you so much your advice. İt is so helpfuly for me.

Have a nice day.