Thanks

Default SQL TDP - Rename backup? Change retention?

I have a TDP mgmt class that binds to a 10 day 10 version retention policy. For the most part my DBA's are very happy with TDP backups however they want a few things that I haven't been able to find a solution for.

1. They would like to be able to rename a backup to make it more easily identified within the GUI or the CMD line.
    2. They would like to take a single backup and assign it a longer retention than it was backed up with.

Lets say we backup a database the first of the month. This database can be considered the "gold" code for a project. After they are a week into the project they decide they want to retain that database longer than the 10 days it was bound to. How can this be accomplished without a full recovery?

Secondly they want to rename that backup or at a minimum add a comment that identifies this backup as the gold version. This will allow them to fall back to a known good point in time.

Thoughts?
    JJ

Jeff Jeske - Sentry Insurance Storage Engineer
    IBM Certified Advanced Deployment Professional
    SNIA Certified Storage Engineer
    EMC Proven Professional
    ITIL Certified

Sometimes the more you know... the harder it is to make a good decision!

Thanks

I don't think #1 can be done. You wouldn't be renaming a node because databases are lower level. Then you wouldn't even be renaming a filespace because databases are an even lower level than that.

For #2, this should be treated the same as if you had a file backed up with BA client and wanted to rebind that file to a new mgmt class. In the case of TDP, you could set an INCLUDE with objectNameSpecification in the TDP dsm.opt file to bind specifically to that database for a longer time, using the same rebinding rules as any regular file.
    Last edited by GregE; 02-27-2012 at 06:28 PM.

Thanks

Revisiting this because of some testing I did. Prior to using the TDP our DBAs used LiteSpeed. Well lite speed has a GUI that uses the API to backup live data directly to TSM just as the TDP does. However in the GUI I can provide a Database Object Name of my liking. In the TDP this data is generated and is pretty much a date time stamp with a unique identifier. See attached jpg.

If Litespeed can do it via the API the TDP should be able to. Any idea on how to update the Database Object Name or at least provide that when running the backup?

Lastly the only way I know to run a TDP backup from the SQL server is by way of cmdexec which has been identified as a security risk on our database servers. Is there another way to launch the TDP backup without the use of cmdexec? The reason I say it is a risk is because we have hundreds of app/dev folks requesting restores and such all day long. Prior to the TDP we simply used SQL scripting to perform the task via homebrew script. Now anyone that needs to run a restore will need CMD access to the DB server. Anyone else encounter this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jeff_Jeske; 03-22-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Jeff Jeske - Sentry Insurance Storage Engineer
    IBM Certified Advanced Deployment Professional
    SNIA Certified Storage Engineer
    EMC Proven Professional
    ITIL Certified

Sometimes the more you know... the harder it is to make a good decision!