Newcomer
    Thanks

Exclamation rootvg crashed in TSM Server

Hi Guys,

Our TSM Server's OS( AIX 5.3 TL 5) rootvg is crashed due to some issue, We have tried to re-create the boot image and other OS recovery methods .. But no luck..

Unfortunately we do not have mksysb image for this server ..

I have re-installed the OS using preservation method( AIX 5.3 TL 09) , and I could mount all file systems in TSM VG's successfully.

Later , I realized the Tivoli directory is missing /usr/tivoli ( Due to preservation installation).

I am an AIX guy ( Not TSM resource) , So I do not anything about TSM. Unfortunately our TSM resource will be available only after a week time.

I would like to know..

i) If we can recover/restore the OS files/directories like ( /etc , /opt , /usr etc.) , Will we be able to run the show ? same as earlier? If yes, How can we restore?

ii) Do we need to store all Storage Pool's data( Storage Pool File systems) along with rootvg? ( Which is in VG's) ..

As per my understanding for Oracle DB's / Server , When ever there is a crash of rootvg , i) We used to install the OS ii) Restore all /etc , ORACLE_HOME Directory etc.. iii) Import VG's iand mount file systems v) Start Oracle DB..

What is the best way to restore the TSM server ?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by ravi.ssr9; 01-14-2012 at 05:10 PM.

Thanks

Hello,

it depends on the TSM version you (used to) have and what was left (which part(s) of TSM was(were) in the rootvg).
    In TSM 5.x it is rather simple - TSM needs its binaries (reinstall the packages - do not forget to install license packages), configuration files (dsmserv.opt, dsmserv.dsk), database and recovery log files (volumes - if raw volumes were used for DB/RLOG).
    The default path for these configuration files is /usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin/
    (the DB and RLOG volumes are specified in the dsmserv.dsk)
    For TSM 6.x this is much more complicated as TSM uses DB2 as underlying database engine.
    Safe bet is to use TSM DB backups (for all versions) - you install fresh TSM and run DB recovery. It is well documented in the administration guide.

So what was your TSMversion and what was left?

Harry