Newcomer
    Thanks

Default EMC Disk Library to Data Domain 890

Currently our environment consists of a TSM 5.5 server with an EMC Disk Library VTL as its primary storage pool and a TS3500 as the copy pool. We purchased a DD890 VTL to replace the EMC Disk Library to take advantage of dedup. We will go from a two engine VTL (EMC disk library) with stg pools split up across both engines to a single engine VTL (DD 890). My questions are...

The primary pools are broken up by platform. For example a VTLengineA_AIX and a VTLengineB_AIX then a VTLengineA_Wintel and VTLengineB_Wintel etc... Can I consolidate the AIX and Wintel pools on the DD? for example create a DD_AIX pool that consolidates VTLengineA_AIX and a VTLengineB_AIX. As you can imagine its a headache to have your pools split across two engines and manage how quickly or slowly the pools fill up. Even better can I just use one giant pool and eliminate carving up the DD into small pools by platform? Is there a dedup or performance benefit by carving up the DD pool?

Thanks

On our Data Domains we use just one pool for all our standard backup data and another for TDP data. I am using NFS for non TDP data and VTL for TDP's. Since the DD deduplicates quite well (I'm getting 6x compression) I have not had to worry about space and the NFS option is actually a lot easier to use than VTL since I don't have to define anything other than the file system location(s) to the FILE device class. Check out Data Domain's TSM Best Practices document. Makes for some interesting ideas.
    Chad Small
    IBM Certified Deployment Professional
    chadsmal@gmail.com
    http://www.tsmadmin.com

3. The Following User Says Thank You to chad_small For This Useful Post:

donlab (11-04-2011)