Newcomer
    Thanks

Default Moving from an IBM3494 to an IBM 3584 tape library

Hello,
    Were moving from an IBM3494 ATL to an IBM TS3500 (3584) ATL.
    I understand that the checkin and the checkout procedure for tapes may well need to change for the TS3500.
    I do not want any requests to be generated for any checkin or checkout operations (as the ops should not have to reply to any such requests )
    The tapes will all be entered via the I/O station (Cartridge Access Port) and should be in slots in the library before the checkin command is run.T

Does any one have any real life experience / examples of using one of these libraries ?

Thanks

Thanks

We did it several times without any problems. Pay attention to the length of the labels (6 or !

Move all cartridges into the new library, assign them and checkin libv TS3500 SEARCH=YES... that's all.
    _flex.

Newcomer
    Thanks

So just to clarify.
    Enter the tapes physically into the TS3500 ( these will be private tapes ) initially.
    When the tapes are in the library ( taken in via the I/O CAP) they will automatically go into the new logical library I have created on the TS3500
    run the TSM command:

checkin libvolume TS3500 status=private search=yes

this command should look at all of the tapes in the TS3500 asociated with the logical library that I have associated with this TSM instance

once that process has completed i need to enter scratch tapes

so

physically enter the scratch tapes into the TS3500 via the CAP
    Wait for the tapes to go into the TS3500
    ( they will automatically be assigned to the logical library that I have created for TSM)

run the TSM command

checkin libvolume TS3500 status=scratch search=yes

This wil look through all of the tapes in the TSM logical library and checkin the tapes as scratch tapes for TSM to use

Is that correct ?

For checkout I was going to try the TSM command ..

Checkout libvolume TS3500 tape01 remove=yes

Can you confirm that the processes will not need to wait for someone to reply to an outstanding request ?

Thanks for your help

Thanks

"When the tapes are in the library ( taken in via the I/O CAP) they will automatically go into the new logical library I have created on the TS3500".

Are you sure this is how it works? As I remember TS3500 doesn't move any tapes from I/O slot automatically anywhere.
    Do you have ALMS feature on TS3500 or not?

You've written it correctly that you should checkin scratch and private tapes in two steps (you can use filelists or separate them physically).

I'd save two files from 3494 (scratch, private tapes), open TS3500 put all tapes into it, checkin private tapes, checkin scratch tapes using filelist option.
    _flex.

Newcomer
    Thanks

Yes - We do have ALMS active on the TS3500 and I have set the number of VIO slots for the TSM logical library to be 32 ( as 32 is the number of tapes that our CAP can hold at any one time )
    Although I do not have connectivity to teh TS3500 via TSM yet, I have

Put tapes into the CAP and closed the CAP door
    The robot then scans the CAP looking to see whats in the CAP.
    The robot sees the tapes that I put in the CAP and the robots hands take the tapes out of the CAP and places the tapes in cartridge storage slots in the library ( hence the library CAP is then empty).
    I then logon to the TS3500 via the GUI and the tapes I entered via the CAP have automatically been assigned to the logical library that I created for the TSM tapes ( I do not ne3ed to manually assign any tapes to any logical libraries)

Thanks

I think you know everything,

PUT private cartridges to VIO.
    Assignment policy will assign to the right library.
    checkin libv TS3500 search=yes ... checkin=private

PUT scratch cartridges to VIO
    Assignment policy will assign to the right library.
    checkin libv TS3500 search=yes ... checkin=scratch

It should work!
    _flex.

Newcomer
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply .

When you say put the cartridges to VIO do you mean enter the cartridges into the CAP ?
    Also I don't want any replies to be generated to which the operations team will need to reply - will these commands generate a reply which will need to be replied to ?

Thanks again
    Ian

Thanks

WAITTime
    Specifies the number of minutes that the server will wait for you to reply or respond to a request. Specify a value in the range 0-9999. If you want to be prompted by the server, specify a wait time greater than zero. The default value is 60 minutes. For example, suppose the server prompts you to insert a tape into the entry/exit port of a library. If you specified a wait time of 60 minutes, the server will issue a request and wait 60 minutes for you to reply. Suppose, on the other hand, you specify a wait time of 0. If you have already inserted a tape, a wait time of zero will cause the operation to continue without prompting. If you have not inserted a tape, a wait time of zero will cause the operation to fail.

waittime=0 should help provided you have volumes already in I/O ports.

Thanks

This.

So here's what you need to do:
    1. Configure ALMS, so that the appropriate volume range is automatically assigned to the TSM virtual library.
    2. Make the quantity of virtual I/O slots large enough that you can load and eject your daily tapes without needing intervention on the TSM server. The library will spit out tapes to the CAP until it's full, and then wait for the CAP to be cleared before spitting out more, until the virtual ejects are all cleared. TSM doesn't care about this; it only cares if the virtual I/O slots are all full. Similarly, tapes will be dragged into the physical library, and TSM won't need to care about the physical size of the CAP. You don't need the virtual I/O slot numbers to equal the physical CAP size - in fact, it's something of a disadvantage to do that. Take advantage of the virtualisation, and make it big, so you don't have to worry if the tape count on a particular day is abnormally high (maybe processing was missed one day for some reason, for example.)
    3. Get the tape operators to load tapes as normal. They'll be physically dragged into the library, and the tape operators won't need to worry about it.
    4. Schedule an automatic checkin. As tariq says, use the waittime=0 parameter to avoid having to reply to a request. (eg: "checkin libvol 3584 search=bulk checkl=barcode status=scratch waittime=0" will slurp in whatever's waiting, without asking for anything to be done.)
    One caveat: it's extremely common for there to be a tape leak, due to automatically doing a "move drm * wherest=courierretrieve" or similar - if a tape isn't returned, that command will remove it anyway, and you'll never know about it (unless you do an audit with your offsite provider and crosscheck to see which tapes are offsite, and verifying against the TSM server that they should be there). I prefer to have a script that runs a checkin (as above), then does a "query actlog" to determine which tapes were actually available (msgno=8443, if I remember rightly). It then does a "move drm volume_label wherest=courierretrieve" to remove it from the DRM listing, and finally a second checkin to actually bring the tapes in. The important point is that you only do the move drm when you have verified that the tape is there, ready to go, rather than doing it blindly.

Newcomer
    Thanks

Thanks for the information. much appreciated.
    If tapes get entered into the TS3584 BUT NOT CHECKED in via TSM, do they stay in a specific category i.e. the category called *INSERT is mentioned in some IBM documents . If so how can I report on all tapes that are in thsi *INSERT category ? Is there an SQL select command that I can run against a specific table ?

Thanks

The 3584 is a SCSI library; there's no formal state or category as such.

Basically, every SCSI library has a series of element numbers. Every drive, every storage slot, and every I/O slot has its own unique number. When TSM asks for a tape to be loaded in a drive, it doesn't say, "Load this tape serial number in that drive" - instead, it asks for a tape to be moved from element number X to element number Y. Internal to TSM is a table listing all of the checked in cartridges, and their home slot number.

Because ALMS virtualises the library, there isn't the same physical element number mapping that there is in a physical, unvirtualised library. But the principle is exactly the same, and for all intents and purposes, you can treat it like a bog standard physical library.

Now that all of that preamble is done with (and hopefully understood): there's no SQL select command you can run to list tapes that haven't been checked in. You'll have to get your hands dirty with some shell scripting, unfortunately. There are two choices: first is the undocumented "SHOW SLOTS" command, which queries the library inventory (directly from the media changer, rather than using the TSM internal catalog) and prints it out. Second is to get the device path for the media changer (query path SERVERNAME LIBRARYNAME f=d), break out to the Unix shell, and run "tapeutil -f device inventory". (If you're running Windows, you're out of luck, I don't know the commands you'd use there.) You can use "tapeutil -f device elementinfo" to figure out which slot numbers correspond to the virtual I/O slots (and hence that haven't been checked in by TSM).

This isn't exhaustive; if you've moved the tapes inside the virtual library (away from the virtual I/O slots), simply looking at the contents of the I/O slots won't give you a full picture. But it's probably about as close as you can come.

Hope this helps a little.