Thanks

Default How to overwrite a database with a restore without manually changing DB state?

TSM Server 6.2.2.0 | TSM Clients 6.2.2.0 | TDP MS SQL 5.5.4.2

Dear,

Is there a way to restore over an existing database without first having to set the database to "single user mode" in the MS SQL Server Management Studio? By changing the state of the database, all users get disconnected and the database can be overwritten.

I can restore a DB to another location, but I can't figure out how to overwrite a database with a restore without first having to change the state of the database manually. Shouldn't the TDP do that for me?

Thanks for your help!
    Current Infrastructure:
    TSM Server 7.1 running on Linux Suse 11 SP2 - TSM Clients all running 6.2.2.0 or better - TDPs at latest version.

Thanks

Or, before the restore you can kill the sessions that connected to the database.

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. Putting the DB in single user mode does in effect, kill all connections to the DB. I was just wondering why the TDP does not do this? Are you saying that before restoring a DB one should manually kill all connections to it from the SQL Manager?
    Current Infrastructure:
    TSM Server 7.1 running on Linux Suse 11 SP2 - TSM Clients all running 6.2.2.0 or better - TDPs at latest version.

Thanks

Could someone confirm this for me? Do I really have to manually kill all connections to the DB before overwriting it? The TDP will not do this even though there is an option to overwrite?

Any feedback is welcome!
    Current Infrastructure:

Newcomer
    Thanks

I also have to kill connections to the DB with the SQL management studio when restoring over an existing database, Otherwise restore fails with database in use.
    I doubt the TDP does this.

Newcomer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by foobar2devnull View Post
    TSM Server 6.2.2.0 | TSM Clients 6.2.2.0 | TDP MS SQL 5.5.4.2

Dear,

Is there a way to restore over an existing database without first having to set the database to "single user mode" in the MS SQL Server Management Studio? By changing the state of the database, all users get disconnected and the database can be overwritten.

I can restore a DB to another location, but I can't figure out how to overwrite a database with a restore without first having to change the state of the database manually. Shouldn't the TDP do that for me?

Thanks for your help!
    I am wondering this myself. Does anyone know? Do I really have to change the state of the database manually? If someone can help me figure this out I would really appreciate it. I really need to restore a database for a payroll utility that I am developing. Thank you very much.
    Last edited by Tyrese; 10-30-2011 at 12:18 PM.