Thanks

Question FastBack - coexistence of TDPS and FB

Hi Team,

I've been using ADSM/TSM for (too many) years, but I'm brand new to FastBack and I'm currently evaluating whether it may be able to help a client I'm working with. It's a bit of a messy background so I'll keep it to the point:

MS SQL Server being backed up LANfree using (legacy) TDP for SQL Server (5.5.x). If we were also to want to integrate a FastBack client onto this server to back up the same databases (to satisfy a replication-based requirement) is it likely that they would step on each others' toes? I think I'm worried about transaction logs here. Basically what I want to achieve is ongoing FULL+DIFFFUL+LOG backups using TDP for SQL Server for PIT restores, but also to be able to secure a (let's say daily) snapshot of the databases using FastBack for its fast restore+replication abilities.

Any thoughts or pointers much appreciated.

Cheers,

//David Mc
    London, UK

Thanks

Hi Dave,

Been a while...noticed your thread was looking lonely and decided to chip in despite my lack of explicit knowledge. Ahh the long afternoons of change freeze.

From what I can see locally you'll have an issue on SQL2000 since its log chain seems to break if you squint at it suspiciously. I've seen SQL2005 instances co-exist TDP SQL log archives as well as native log to disk, so that might be feasible. Just make sure you don't change the recovery mode in between backup operations and you'll probably manage it.

Reckon you might have to suck it'nsee.

Cheers,

Tony

"project star ain't my problem no more"

Thanks

Heh, thanks Tony - it has been a while.

I'm going to do some evaluation this week so I'll report back (given that we have a dedicated FastBack sub-forum now and everything (thanks ADSM.ORG Admin).

Depending upon how it goes, one of the models that I'm looking at is ditching the TDP altogether on the SQL Server, instead using the TSM BA Client installed upon the FastBack Server to sweep stuff up and handle the longer term retention stuff, with FastBack managing the shorter term/immediate restore stuff. Of course, for some requirements this won't be a goer, but I'd like to see what we can achieve with it. What I'm particularly interested in seeing is how we can work with the restores via FastBack to achieve point in time recoveries using snapshots and transaction logs.

It's a brave new world, and I think FastBack could be a real winner for some solutions.

Best Regards,

//David Mc
    London, UK