Thread: Script / dsmc

Newcomer
    Thanks

Default Script / dsmc

i have to backup a lot of files every two hours.

so i try to make a script and schedule with windows task scheduler:

cd c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\baclient
    dsmc incremental -archmc=INC_BUP_2HOURLY "D:\*" -description="Inc Backup" %date%" -subdir=yes

but there is no archmc for incremental backups and i need other retention for those files.

thx for your help.

Thanks

Is there a need to have this process bind to different retention than normal nightly backups? If so perhaps creating a nodename_2hr or something to that affect with its own dsm.opt file and change what the data binds to as far as policy sets.

Otherwise,
    I believe if you use the binding to the long term policy set and set in the dsm.opt file on the client or a client option set that paticular node is associated with you'll get the retention you are looking for.

You should also be able to create a 2 hr schedule with enhanced schedules within TSM itself. Then you'll be able to report on the status of the backups.
    Last edited by dms19; 05-27-2010 at 03:54 PM.
    "Whats this button do?"

Thanks

You will need to create a new management class (with different retention) in this existing policy domain and bind this node to this management class/domain.

I suggest you take a look at this redbook from IBM, espacially chapter 9; "Policy Management", it will explain TSM way of doing what you need:

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg244877.pdf (IBM Tivoli Storage Management Concepts)

Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JeanSeb View Post
    You will need to create a new management class (with different retention) in this existing policy domain and bind this node to this management class/domain.

I suggest you take a look at this redbook from IBM, espacially chapter 9; "Policy Management", it will explain TSM way of doing what you need:

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg244877.pdf (IBM Tivoli Storage Management Concepts)
    What JeanSeb said. After you create management class, and activate the policyset, you can bind your special directory to the new management class in your dsm.opt file.

include.backup c:\win98\system\* mybackupclass

Also, I think you'd be best served by triggering these two-hour schedules from the TSM server. You can create one schedule that runs every two hours. Pretty easy to use.

Newcomer
    Thanks

i've created two dsm.opt and two different tsm scheduler. it seems like it works.

you are very friendly. thanks a lot guys.