Thanks

Default System state not in copy pool

Hi All

I recently rolled out TSM 5.5 for my company and last week we did a DR test one of our sites to ensure the rollout was successfull. However I couldn't restore any system states as the restore was trying to find them on the Primary Storage Pool (which had been destroyed) and not the copy pool (on tape).

The DR people at the centre said it was bug within TSM the the system states don't copy from the primary in the copy pools and to run the following command to find out what hasn't copied:

q content F:\<primary pool location> node=<nodename> copied=no

On running this I can see that all my system states are not copying to the copy pools and to tape to get stored offsite which is obvisouly and issue when it comes to restore.

Has anybody else had this and know if it can be fixed?

Thanks
    Phill
    (newbie)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JOAMON View Post
    Hi All

I recently rolled out TSM 5.5 for my company and last week we did a DR test one of our sites to ensure the rollout was successfull. However I couldn't restore any system states as the restore was trying to find them on the Primary Storage Pool (which had been destroyed) and not the copy pool (on tape).

The DR people at the centre said it was bug within TSM the the system states don't copy from the primary in the copy pools and to run the following command to find out what hasn't copied:

q content F:\<primary pool location> node=<nodename> copied=no

On running this I can see that all my system states are not copying to the copy pools and to tape to get stored offsite which is obvisouly and issue when it comes to restore.

Has anybody else had this and know if it can be fixed?

Thanks
    Phill
    (newbie)
    Do you have just the base install of 5.5? Or have you patched it to 5.5.2 (I believe is the latest; I maybe wrong)?

Edit: 5.5.3 is the latest for the TSM server.
    Ed

Thanks

It would have been nice if they had given also a bug reference. That would have made live much easier. I have checked the IBM site but my search came up empty.

Thanks

Thanks for replies - i'm running version 5.5.2, don't get any issues with other files just systemstate.

In our test environment I've backed up the system state and runned a backup stgpool. Both filespaces SYSTEMSTATE and ASR are backed up to the copypool. A q content copied=no did not list any files (it did BEFORE the backup stgpool of course) and q content of primary and copypool volumes are identical. I've tested on TSM V5.5.2 on AIX and with a Windows 2003 client.

Backup stgpool is working as expected in this setup, also for the SYSTEMSTATE of a Windows machine.

If this is not a bug (no problem at all) than that's the explanation why you cannot find it at IBM support . Let your 'DR People' explain the so-called known problem they're referring to.

Maybe you want to check your environment and TSM setup one more time, or perform the same test on another TSM level or Windows OS version.
    Best regards,
    Tommy Hueber
    http://www.tsmblog.org

Thanks

Thanks for doing that Syntax44, that setup sounds exactly the same as mine, i have 10 TSM servers around the country on a windows platform backing up only windows platforms, on version 5.5.2 and none of them copy the system states from the primary storage or overflow pools to the copy pool on tape.

Scoured the internet and can't really find any reference to the issue

Think i'll log a call with IBM, thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JOAMON View Post
    Thanks for doing that Syntax44, that setup sounds exactly the same as mine, i have 10 TSM servers around the country on a windows platform backing up only windows platforms, on version 5.5.2 and none of them copy the system states from the primary storage or overflow pools to the copy pool on tape.

Scoured the internet and can't really find any reference to the issue

Think i'll log a call with IBM, thanks.
    Check the sequence of how you are backing up to offsite pools.

Do you do 1) a backup of the diskpool to copy pool, 2) migrate the disk pool to the online tape pool, and 3) backup online tape pool to copy pool (just in case there are remnants because of threshold issues)?
    Ed

Thanks

Do you direct the system state backups to a primary pool that does not get backed up to copypool?

Can you post the output of "q stg" and your admin scripts that do your stgpool backups?