Thanks

Angry Backup only snapshots?

Hi.
    I'm trying to convince our IBM N5200 (Netapp 3020) to ONLY backup certain catalogs via NDMP.

In my case I wan't to exclude exchange volumes completly (are backup'd with TDP) and live filesystems (VMware data on NFS).

So, I wan't to backup the filsystems with Vmware images in the Netapp snapshots (thus, the vmware snapshots are a cosistent state).

The problem is that even if I have told TSM to use a Option Sets filter "exclude.fs.nas <volume name>" it still backups all the filesystems.
    Also, it ignores the snapshot dir's.
    Exacly the oposite of what I wan't.

Looking at the exclude.fs.nas definition I find that it should be added to the client definition (on a NAS?) and that it only works on AIX, Solaris or Windows depending on what document I find.

Our server is a Linux x86 64 bit so there is no match there.

Why are the option set ignored by the NAS? What am I doing wrong here?
    How do I tell that it should only take /vol/*/.snapshot backups?

Thanks

Hi,

if you want to backup snapshot part of the NetApp volume, you have to use "define VIRTUALFSMAPING" option in your TSM server (so you backup /vol/volume_name/.snapshot/snapshot_name) and then use "backup node <filer_node> <virtualfs> ....." (from the server)

So you do not need any client involved.

Is there anything what prevent you using this approach?

Harry

Thanks

Well, I have been lookin down that road and it would probably solve the problem how to backup up a snapshot.

As a newbie at TSM (but 8 years with Legato) I would need som more assistance, thou.
    When a VIRTAUALFSMAPPING is defined, how do I tell TSM to always include it in a scheduled snapshot? I dont want to issue a separate command for every volume snapshots I need backed up.

I'm thinking about using DOMAIN.NAS to include all the snapshot dir so that I can do a "backup node netapp-filer toc=yes" without having to worry and remember the name of allt virtualfs definitions.

Also, where would I create the DOMAIN.NAS definition (option sets filter would be prefered) for the NAS?

You can easily get into a administrative nightmare if I have to to a separate backup-command. I have one NAS with 67 volumes (and increasing on weelky basis), and two volumes that need to be excluded. Luckily I dont have the snapshot problem here, but still the "options sets filter ignored" problem.