Thanks

Default Duplication of backup tape fail repeatedly

Why are my duplication of tape backup failing?
    I'm running Netbackup 6.0 MP4 with one master (w2k3) and three media (wk2&w2k3) servers and backups/duplication are to Adic robotic tape library. I have no problems running any of my backup jobs however when I try to run the duplication on sunday morning the duplication jobs abnormal end. After multiple restarts over a 24hr period they will eventually complete. Problem started in september, I cannot identify any changes to my servers or the network. Help!

Thanks

Smile

OS1-

Like any backup, check the scheduling for your 2nd backup instance.
    If the 1st backup have not finish, the 2nd will automatically failed.

If you keep logs for the weekend backup, check the log to see when the 1st backup
    instant finish. Then schedule the 2nd backup instant about 1/2 or 1 hour after the
    1st backup finish.

If not, you can write a script to have the 2nd backup wait till the 1st backup instant
    backup complete.
    Systems Engineering (Storage Administration)

"No matter how well we do something, there is always something we can do better" - Joel R.

Thanks

I have no problems with the Daily/Weekly/Monthly backups, its the duplication of backup tapes that quit without finishing the duplication. I normally wait 1 hour after the last backup completes before I start the duplication of the backup tapes. The duplication will run for varying periods of time before failing. Doesn't matter if I start duplicating with the three storage unit around the same time or if I start different storage units after the failure of another storage unit.

Thanks

Contact Veritas technical support page or even give them a hollar - you may need a tech bulletin update. When this duplication is running, do you have any other admin process that has a higher priority or has taken a tape drive from you in any fashion?
    Lastly - do you have enough scratch media. Have you elected to duplicate at the filespace level vs the entire pool - perhaps you are experiencing what we in TSM experience in our older exports.
    Give Veritas a go - then come back and tell us what the fix was - I am sure we are all curious.
    good luck
    Steven Gabriel
    Principal -SGSolutions Inc.
    http://www.sgsolutionsinc.com

Thanks

Default Resolved Duplication Issue

All,

With the help of Symantec, the problem was solved by 1. Upgrading the NIC drivers on the Master and Media servers. 2. Having the Information Assurance team stop scanning my servers while I'm running duplication. I think solution 2 was the biggest problem anyway the problem has not reoccured since applying these two solutions.
    Thanks for the help all.

Thanks

Default library

Have you checked your library? Assuming you have multiple drives in it, have you tested the drives? possibly the dup is using a drive the backup is not?