Thanks

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to do a full system restore of a Solaris system using TSM? A co-worker tried reinstalling Solaris, installing the TSM Client and then did a full system restore off TSM. Half of the way through, the restore/system crashed. He tried this several time with no sucess. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Tony

Thanks

What error did it die with? We do this all the time at my company. Jumpstart the server, config the TSM client, and restore all of the filespaces, haven't had a problem so far except for the occasional tape being marked "unavailable".

Michael

Hey All. Just a question . . . is the hardware you're rebuilding the same as the hardware this OLD system was on? If you're restoring system files that don't belong to the hardware, you'll make the kernel panic consistently. You might want to do partial restores of other directories before restoring ANYTHING in say /etc/ . . . or ROOT!!

sERGE

Thanks

mpfrench and sergio.morales thanks for your replies. I am not sure of the exact errors that the restore/system crash ended with when doing the full system restore. My co-worker is remote and I could not get too much information from him. I do know that he used the same machine and a disk drive of the same size. He was doing the restore because the disk drive failed. It was a small system with just one disk and one primary filesystem /.

mpfrench, when you said you "do this all the time at my company" are there any files that you do not restore? Another contact of mine said not to restore any files in /var and /opt but he did not give me any details why.

Thanks.

Tony

I would agree with "your other contact" as to not replacing /var and /opt, but we will normally put applications files in /opt, and that's what I assume you really need to restore. As far as /etc, if the hardware is the same, then you should be OK . . . Try to get more details as to the error causing the failure because it could really make life easier . . .

sERGE